- 1 Foram-Meetings
- 2 JOURNALS, SERIES AND NEWSLETTERS FOCUSED ON FORAMINIFERAL RESEARCH
- 3 FOUNDATIONS AND SOCIETIES SUPPORTING FORAMINIFERAL RESEARCH
- 4 GLOSSARIES
- 5 INTRODUCTION TO FORAMINIFERA
- 6 FORAMINIFERA: HISTORY OF INVESTIGATIONS
- 7 MICROPALAEONTOLOGICAL TECHNIQUES
- 8 BIOLOGY of FORAMINIFERA
- 9 FORAMINIFERA AS PROXIES
- 10 CLASSIFICATION
- 11 VIRTUAL COLLECTIONS OF FORAMINIFERA
- 12 REFERENCES ON THE FORAMINIFERIDA
- 13 MULTIMEDIAL RESOURCES
- 14 MEDIA ON FORAMINIFERA
- 15 SOFTWARE
- 16 Links on EVOLUTION
- FORAMS-2014 - International Symposium on Foraminifera in CHILE.
- MIKRO-2013 Workshop, POLAND
- 9th IWAF - International Workshop on Agglutinated Foraminifera, 2012, Zaragoza (Saragossa), SPAIN.
- 1st Joint MIKRO-2011 Workshop and TMS Foram/Nanno Group Meeting  - Kraków, POLAND, June 27 - July 1, 2011, organized by the AGH-Academy of Science and Technology, Jagiellonian University, The Grzybowski Foundation and TMS Foraminifera and Nannofossil groups. Contact person: Michael A. Kaminski - e-mail: <m.kaminski(at)ucl.ac.uk> For more information including the second circular and registration form, please visit The Grzybowski Foundation website.
- 4th International School on Foraminifera - Urbino, ITALY, 13-22 July, 2011. Contact person: Fabrizio Frontalini - email: <fabrizio.frontalini(at)uniurb.it>
- Micropaleontology Short Course offshore Norway and Canada - Copenhagen 2010, GEUS, Øster Voldgade 10, 1350 Copenhagen, DENMARK, November 22-26, 2010; Felix M. Gradstein - e-mail: <felix.gradstein(AT)nhm.uio.no>
- FORAMS-2010 - International Symposium on Foraminifera at Bonn, GERMANY, September 5th to 10th, 2010; Abstracts; contact person: Martin R. Langer - e-mail: <forams2010(AT)uni-bonn.de>
- Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups Joint Spring Meeting 2010, June 28, 2010, Natural History Museum, London
- MIKRO-2009 - 7th Micropalaeontological Workshop, Św. Katarzyna, Góry Świętokrzyskie, Poland, September 28-30, 2009, organized by the INSTITUTE OF PALEOBIOLOGY Polish Academy of Sciences and The Grzybowski Foundation, contact person: Danuta Peryt - e-mail: <d.peryt(at)twarda.pan.pl> - http://www.paleo.pan.pl/conferences/MIKRO2009.htm
- Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups Joint Spring Meeting 2009, Integrated Studies of evolution, taxonomy, ecology and geochemistry, June 4-5, 2009, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
- Microfossils II - March 15 - 18, 2009, University of Houston, Houston, Texas - Geologic Problem Solving with Microfossils II run by the North American Micropaleontology Section (NAMS) of SEPM.
- Eighth IWAF - International Workshop on Agglutinated Foraminifera: September 7-13, 2008, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, contact person: Sorin Filipescu, Department of Geology, Babes-Bolyai University
- The Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups joint Spring Meeting 2008, The Micropalaeontological Society (TMS) - Bioindicators of past and present environments: May 15-17 2008; Institute of Geosciences, University of Tübingen, GERMANY - ABSTRACTS - POSTER
- Fifth International Congress of the International Society of Environmental Micropaleontology, Microbiology and Meiobenthology (ISEMMM), August 24 - September 1, 2007, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, GERMANY - CANCELLED
- MIKRO-2007 - 6th Micropalaeontological Workshop, June 18–20, 2007, organized by the Polish Geological Institute, Marine Geology Branch and The Grzybowski Foundation, Gdańsk, POLAND; contact person: Jarmila Krzymińska - e-mail: <email@example.com> or <Jarmila.Krzyminska@pgi.gov.pl> File:Mikro2007 Abstracts.ALL.pdf
- The Micropalaeontological Society (TMS) The Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups joint Spring Meeting 2007: Thursday 7th - Friday 8th June, 2007, Université d'Angers, France, Organizing Committee at Angers: Christophe Fontanier, Emmanuelle Geslin, and Frans Jorissen; ABSTRACTS
- General Assembly of the European Geosciences Union (EGU) which will be held in Vienna on 15-20 April, 2007: BG5.05 Environmental Micropaleontology: Microfossils as Proxies of Recent and Past Environmental Changes - Convener: Frans Jorissen, Co-Convener: Silvia Spezzaferri.
- Geologic Problem Solving with Microfossils I - a 3-day conference run by NAMS, March 6-11, 2005, Rice University, Houston, Texas,USA - Abstracts Volume (PDF)
- 4th International Short course on Applied Micropaleontology to be held at the Institute of Paleontology University at Bonn on March 28 - 31, 2007
- The Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups joint Spring Meeting 2006, The Micropalaeontological Society, 25th - 26th May, 2006, University of Liverpool, UK http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/tms/foramnanno2006.htm - ABSTRACTS
- FORAMS 2006 in Natal, BRAZIL, September 10 - 15, 2006: http://www.fgel.uerj.br/forams2006/. See ABSTRACTS & Session SCHEDULE.
- The thirteenth meeting of the East Coast Section of the International Society of Protistologists - June 6-8, 2006 at Russell Sage College, in Troy, New York.
- Workshop on Unicellular Symbionts, Department of Palaeontology, University of Vienna, 12.-13. December 2005 (with ABSTRACTS)
- The Micropalaeontological Society's Foraminifera and Nannofossil Groups Joint Spring Meeting. The National Oceanography Centre Southampton, 15th-17th June 2005. ABSTRACTS
- 5th Micropalaeontological Workshop MIKRO-2005, Szymbark, POLAND, June 8-10, 2005 - see PUBLICATIONS from MIKRO-2005
JOURNALS, SERIES AND NEWSLETTERS FOCUSED ON FORAMINIFERAL RESEARCH
- Cahiers de Micropaléontologie (France)
- Carnets de Géologie - Notebooks on Geology Full text HTML and PDF pages (published some contributions on fossil foraminifers by J.-P. Bellier, J.M. González-Donoso, L. Hottinger, D. Linares, M. Moullade, G. Tronchetti, F. Robaszynski, ...)
- Journal of Foraminiferal Research as the official publication of the Cushman Foundation for Foraminiferal Research http://www.cushmanfoundation.org/jfr/index.html
- Journal of Micropalaentology - The International Journal of The Micropalaeontological Society http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/tms/journal.htm
- Palaeontologia Electronica The world's first internationally-sponsored paleontological journal with acces to all published papers [http://www.palaeo-electronica.org/
- Revue de Paléobiologie Edition en ligne - Online edition http://www.ville-ge.ch/musinfo/mhng/paleo/ Full text PDFs since 2005
- Revue de Micropaléontologie (France)
- Studia Geologica Polonica The series of monographs including the micropalaeontologic research: http://www.ing.pan.pl/stud4www/his_oth.html and http://www.ing.pan.pl/stud4www/124tom.html
- Utrecht Micropalaeontological Bulletin (The Netherlands)
- Voprosi Micropalaeontologia (Russia)
- and still some more to be added ...
FOUNDATIONS AND SOCIETIES SUPPORTING FORAMINIFERAL RESEARCH
- Illustrated GLOSSARY of terms used in foraminiferal research by Lukas Hottinger (2006)
- A glossary of terms used in foraminiferal research by Lukas Hottinger and Verena Scheuring (1997)
- Index of morphology terms by Dan Georgescu (2004)
- Glossary of scientific terms of the Marine Life Information Network (MarLIN) (a general oceanologic glossary).
INTRODUCTION TO FORAMINIFERA
- What Are Microfossils? on the website of The University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Short Treatise on Foraminiferology by Bellier et al. (2010)
- University College London's micropalaeontology site MIRACLE Overview of foraminifera and other microfossil groups, including many high-quality SEMs.
- Martin Langer on foraminifera: http://www.paleontology.uni-bonn.de/paleontology/langer/FORAMINI.HTM
- URBINO SUMMER SCHOOL IN PALEOCLIMATOLOGY, 2005, DEEP-SEA BENTHIC FORAMINIFERA by Ellen Thomas http://ethomas.web.wesleyan.edu/BFhandout.htm
FORAMINIFERA: HISTORY OF INVESTIGATIONS
- A short story of foraminifera - ifremer
- The Origin of Applied Micropalaeontology: Jozef Grzybowski's Biostratigraphical studies of the Carpathian Oilfields in the 1890's - follow the Jozef Grzybowski link
Sampling and preparation techniques
- PREPARATION TECHNIQUES FOR USE OF FORAMINIFERA IN THE CLASSROOM http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fosrec/Snyder&Huber.html by SCOTT W. SNYDER & BRIAN T. HUBER
- Micropalaeontological sampling, processing and counting by Murray, J. & Rohling, E.J. et al. - PDF
- The Collection and Mounting of Foraminifera by Brian Darnton http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artnov98/bdforam3.html
- Micropaleontological slides:
Presentation and documentation techniques
- QUICKTIME VR: A POWERFUL NEW ILLUSTRATIVE TOOL FOR MICROPALEONTOLOGICAL RESEARCH by Patrick D. Lyons and Laurence Head, Palaeontologica Electronica, 1998, vol. 1, Issue 2. Have a look at the results and ROTATE the QuickTime VR Object of Elphidium crispum.
- Chromo-stereoscopy as a tool in micropalaeontological investigations: echinoderms as a case study by Andrzej Boczarowski, Studia Geologica Polonica, 124: 21-36. Why not to use it for foraminifera?
- Mikrofossilien in der "dritten Dimension" – neue Wege in der Paläontologie by Harald Andruleit (BGR, Hannover)
BIOLOGY of FORAMINIFERA
- The star*sand project, part of the micro*scope system of websites, is a cooperative database of information about foraminifera.
- The Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History The largest type collection of foraminifera in the world.
- Reticulopodia in action: Gliding movement and phagocytosis in a foraminifer (Ammonia beccarii)
- MOLECULAR PHYLOGENY & OCEANOGRAPHY:
- Molecular Phylogeny of Amoeboid Protists by Jan Pawlowski http://www.unige.ch/sciences/biologie/biani/msg/Amoeboids/Home.html
- FORAMS DNA WEBPAGE by Jan Pawlowski http://www.unige.ch/sciences/biologie/biani/msg/people/Jan/forams.htm
- MOLECULAR OCEANOGRAPHY by Colomban de Vargas: http://marine.rutgers.edu/dmcs/ms309/
- EVOLUTION VON EINZELLERN ZU MULTIZELLULÄREN ORGANISMEN PALÄONTOLOGISCHE UND MOLEKULARBIOLOGISCHE ASPEKTE by Maria Holzmann (PDF-presentation in German)
FORAMINIFERA AS PROXIES
- Foraminifers as bioindicators by Heidi L. Crevison and Palmela Hallock on the website of College of Marine Science, USF
- Fabulous Foraminifera: examining past climates using microscopic marine organisms by Barbara Manighetti & Lisa Northcote in Water & Atmosphere, Vol. 8(3), © NIWA 2000
- Recent British Intertidal Foraminifera http://http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/ian.boomer/gallery/modern-IT-foraminifera.htm
Foraminifera as pollution proxies
- Benthic foraminifera distribution in high polluted sediments from Niterói Harbor (Guanabara Bay), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Vilela et al. (2004)
- Environmental quality and preservation - Chemical pollutants and toxic effects on benthic organisms, Biscayne Bay: A pilot study preceding Florida Everglades restoration. USGS Open-File Report, 2002 - PDF
VIRTUAL COLLECTIONS OF FORAMINIFERA
- Report on the Foraminifera dredged by H.M.S. Challenger during the Years 1873-1876 by Henry B. Brady illustrated with 115 plates and 22 woodcuts.
- Chronos Portal - Resources:
- Mesozoic Planktonic Foraminifera Taxonomic Dictionary, Huber, B.T., Coordinator, 2006
- Atlas of Paleocene Planktonic Foraminifera - An HTML document that provides online access to text, figures and images that were published in the Atlas of Paleocene Planktonic Foraminifera (R.K. Olsson, C. Hemleben, W.A. Berggren, B.T. Huber, editors, 1999, Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology, No. 85).
- Foraminifera Guide by Dr. Marius Dan Georgescu. An HTML-based illustrated guide to the taxonomy, descriptive morphology, and biostratigraphy of Cretaceous planktonic foraminifera.
- ATLAS OF BENTHIC FORAMINIFERA Laboratory of Recent and Fossil Bio-Indicators, Angers, France and others; see the MAP
- Visual Database of Planktonic foraminifera, Global Oceanographic Data Center, JAMSTEC
- e-Foram Stock - a new experimental website for the delivery of e-Specimen over computer networks, and is the new specimen reference system, making use of three-dimensional virtual models developed by Tohoku University Museum.
- Dynamic List of Neogene Benthic Foraminifera Species by Laurel S. Collins: http://porites.geology.uiowa.edu/database/bforam/foram_speclist.htm
- Biostrat Gallery of Australian Foraminifera by D. Haig & R. Howe, The University of Western Australia: http://biostrat.segs.uwa.edu.au/content/catalogues/index.htm
- Underwater Field Guide to Ross Island & McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, PROTOCTISTA foraminiferans, amoeba, algae, diatoms
- GALLERY of Recent Foraminifera collected in Kongsfjorden, Isfjorden and Adventfjorden during the cruise of r/v « Oceania » between 22 July and 2 August 2004 (by Jan Pawlowski)
- STAR*SAND: The micro*scope foraminifera site - "This collection encompasses both modern and fossil foraminifera (and other Granuloreticulosea)."
- Arctic foraminifera by the Byrd Polar Research Center: ca 50 SEM images for 18 common Arctic species
- BENTHIC ROTALIINAN FORAMINIFERANS OF THE CENTRAL SOUTH OF CHILE (36ºS - 44ºS) by Figueroa et al. (2005)
- EMIDAS - The Electronic MIcrofossil Image Database System offers access to digital images of several microfossil groups such as coccolithophores and planktic foraminifera.
REFERENCES ON THE FORAMINIFERIDA
- FORAMREFS compiled by Michael A. Kaminski
- Online Mediatheque Prototype of IWF Knowledge and Media includes a series of clips focused on the biology of foraminifera - Type "foraminifera" into Quick Search Filter to see 7 previews of the movies by Rudolf Röttger (Kiel) Christoph Hemleben (Tübingen), and Michael Spindler (Tübingen) in German or English versions. Other movies are also available.
- PREVIEW: Introduction to Protists, The Biology of Protists etc.
- From modern faunas to facies interpretation by Jenö Nagy & Tore Joranger (University of Oslo)
- Biofacies and stratigraphy of sedimentary sequences by Jenö Nagy & Tore Joranger (University of Oslo)
MEDIA ON FORAMINIFERA
- New discovery in Nature: animals can breathe without oxygen "... some foraminifera can breathe nitrate when they inhabit environments with no oxygen."
- PAST - PAlaeontological STatistics - [http://folk.uio.no/ohammer/past/
- The R Project for Statistical Computing - http://www.r-project.org/
- Palaeo Software from Bugware
- Time Scale Creator from The International Commission on Stratigraphy (ICS)
- Tools for Biostratigraphic Zonation and Correlation: RASC & CASC
Links on EVOLUTION
- Introduction to Evolutionary Biology by Chris Colby
- Species and Genus Level Evolution in the Fossil Record with an example of "The Evolution of Orbulina"