WWW on Foraminifera
|FORAM-Events||SOCIETIES and FOUNDATIONS||JOURNALS||FORAM-Glossaries||WWW on Foraminifera||FORAM-Collections||MICROPALAEONTOLOGICAL TECHNIQUES|
INTRODUCTION TO FORAMINIFERA
- What Are Microfossils? on the website of The University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Short Treatise on Foraminiferology by Bellier et al. (2010)
- University College London's micropalaeontology site MIRACLE Overview of foraminifera and other microfossil groups, including many high-quality SEMs.
- Martin Langer on foraminifera: http://www.paleontology.uni-bonn.de/paleontology/langer/FORAMINI.HTM
- URBINO SUMMER SCHOOL IN PALEOCLIMATOLOGY, 2005, DEEP-SEA BENTHIC FORAMINIFERA by Ellen Thomas http://ethomas.web.wesleyan.edu/BFhandout.htm
- Foraminifera in The Project Gutenberg EBook of Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 10, Slice 6
FORAMINIFERA: HISTORY OF INVESTIGATIONS
- A short story of foraminifera - ifremer
- The Origin of Applied Micropalaeontology: Jozef Grzybowski's Biostratigraphical studies of the Carpathian Oilfields in the 1890's - follow the Jozef Grzybowski link
Sampling and preparation techniques
- PREPARATION TECHNIQUES FOR USE OF FORAMINIFERA IN THE CLASSROOM http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fosrec/Snyder&Huber.html by SCOTT W. SNYDER & BRIAN T. HUBER
- Micropalaeontological sampling, processing and counting by Murray, J. & Rohling, E.J. et al. - PDF
- The Collection and Mounting of Foraminifera by Brian Darnton http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artnov98/bdforam3.html
- Micropaleontological slides:
Presentation and documentation techniques
- QUICKTIME VR: A POWERFUL NEW ILLUSTRATIVE TOOL FOR MICROPALEONTOLOGICAL RESEARCH by Patrick D. Lyons and Laurence Head, Palaeontologica Electronica, 1998, vol. 1, Issue 2. Have a look at the results and ROTATE the QuickTime VR Object of Elphidium crispum.
- Chromo-stereoscopy as a tool in micropalaeontological investigations: echinoderms as a case study by Andrzej Boczarowski, Studia Geologica Polonica, 124: 21-36. Why not to use it for foraminifera?
- Mikrofossilien in der "dritten Dimension" – neue Wege in der Paläontologie by Harald Andruleit (BGR, Hannover)
BIOLOGY of FORAMINIFERA
- The star*sand project, part of the micro*scope system of websites, is a cooperative database of information about foraminifera.
- The Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History The largest type collection of foraminifera in the world.
- Reticulopodia in action: Gliding movement and phagocytosis in a foraminifer (Ammonia beccarii)
- MOLECULAR PHYLOGENY & OCEANOGRAPHY:
- Molecular Phylogeny of Amoeboid Protists by Jan Pawlowski http://www.unige.ch/sciences/biologie/biani/msg/Amoeboids/Home.html
- foramBARCODING Molecular Database of Foraminifera - The foramBarcoding project coordinated by Jan Pawlowski and Maria Holzmann from Department of Genetics and Evolution, University of Geneva.
- FORAMS DNA WEBPAGE by Jan Pawlowski http://www.unige.ch/sciences/biologie/biani/msg/people/Jan/forams.htm
- MOLECULAR OCEANOGRAPHY by Colomban de Vargas: http://marine.rutgers.edu/dmcs/ms309/
- EVOLUTION VON EINZELLERN ZU MULTIZELLULÄREN ORGANISMEN PALÄONTOLOGISCHE UND MOLEKULARBIOLOGISCHE ASPEKTE by Maria Holzmann (PDF-presentation in German)
FORAMINIFERA AS PROXIES
- Foraminifers as bioindicators by Heidi L. Crevison and Palmela Hallock on the website of College of Marine Science, USF
- Fabulous Foraminifera: examining past climates using microscopic marine organisms by Barbara Manighetti & Lisa Northcote in Water & Atmosphere, Vol. 8(3), © NIWA 2000
- Recent British Intertidal Foraminifera http://http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/ian.boomer/gallery/modern-IT-foraminifera.htm
Foraminifera as pollution proxies
- Benthic foraminifera distribution in high polluted sediments from Niterói Harbor (Guanabara Bay), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Vilela et al. (2004)
- Environmental quality and preservation - Chemical pollutants and toxic effects on benthic organisms, Biscayne Bay: A pilot study preceding Florida Everglades restoration. USGS Open-File Report, 2002 - PDF
REFERENCES ON THE FORAMINIFERIDA
- FORAMREFS compiled by Michael A. Kaminski
- Online Mediatheque Prototype of IWF Knowledge and Media includes a series of clips focused on the biology of foraminifera - Type "foraminifera" into Quick Search Filter to see 7 previews of the movies by Rudolf Röttger (Kiel) Christoph Hemleben (Tübingen), and Michael Spindler (Tübingen) in German or English versions. Other movies are also available.
- PREVIEW: Introduction to Protists, The Biology of Protists etc.
- From modern faunas to facies interpretation by Jenö Nagy & Tore Joranger (University of Oslo)
- Biofacies and stratigraphy of sedimentary sequences by Jenö Nagy & Tore Joranger (University of Oslo)
MEDIA ON FORAMINIFERA
- New discovery in Nature: animals can breathe without oxygen "... some foraminifera can breathe nitrate when they inhabit environments with no oxygen."